Thursday, June 12, 2008

Argumentativeness

Argumentativeness is necessary to a large degree. It is certainly the foundation of some careers, like law, and I regard it as a highly valued skill. This doesn’t mean that people should argue for the sake of arguing; rather, that people should learn how to defend their views based on logic and rationale.

I was surprised to read that Korean women are not argumentative compared to American women. Later on in the paragraph the authors cite another study that found no differences, which I’m inclined to agree with. I’m Korean and lived in Korea for quite a while. The divorce rate in Korea has dramatically increased within the last few decades. Though there isn’t iron-clad causality between arguing and divorce, I think it’s safe to assume that many couples argue before getting divorced.

No comments: